The big news in the news/entertainment world is that Katie Couric is giving up her morning job for the bigtime evening news. What got me wondering is how is it for some people can grow up and keep their "kiddie" names and not get made fun of and some can't? Or is Katie going to be known as "Kate Couric" now that she's a hard hitting journalist again? I don't think that's possible, her name is ingrained into the american pop culture lexicon. You can't just change something like that.
Meanwhile, I've met tons of guys that should have made the transition years ago but they're now in their 30s and 40s and they're being called names that only boys should have. Jonny, Tommy, Joey, etc... I mean, I had a friend once named Donny and he had the sense to shorten it to Don after we got to college. Maybe it seems more infantile with guy names rather than girl names. Or perhaps its just me being fixated on what should be adult-like and what shouldn't be.
[ back home ]
Comments for kiddy names
man, i've always HATED being referred to as "Mikey". even when i was a kid.
- Posted at 4/06/2006 2:38 PM | By
...and then you have complete strangers who just go ahead and shorten your name without your permission when they first meet you. It's extra annoying when I go in as a professional capacity and the dude calls me "Steffy". It just flushes my credibility down the toilet. @_@
- Posted at 4/11/2006 4:47 PM | By
Ugh, try being given a kiddie name that you're stuck with for the rest of your life! :(
- Posted at 4/20/2006 8:14 PM | By
