Having it your way vs Harmony

1.06.2007

I've been thinking about how most relationships I've had to deal with. Be it with family, friends, or professional. Ultimately it boils down to two dichotomies that become trials/obstacles. The first is being there for a person, which brings up the idea, do you just listen and not say anything or do you advise? Do you think you have a solution, but does this solution ultimately push the person to maybe change their habits? And usually people don't change for others, they have to come to that decision themselves. And then I have to ask myself, usually in hindsight, why do I care so much if this person changes their habits or not. Why do I care that they need to realign their habits and moral code to something I might consider "right." Seeing how most of these "rights" are based of principles of ideals and not experience. Or maybe some of them are my experiences, but they're not that person's.

Which seques into the next question. What do I prefer more? Being right (having it my way, a la House M.D.) or having harmony and being able to bite my tongue and live and let live.

I understand there are times where a person must stand up for what they believe but then there is a lot to be said that everyone sees life through their own prism and who's to say which prism is better?

Lately, I've been just being hands off. "Letting go" as in, why put so much energy into something you know you have no ability to change. Maybe its another step towards complacency, but I don't view it that way. When you free up that energy to enforce things you can't change, you're also free to re-channel it into something else, hopefully something more positive shaping.


[ back home ]

Comments for Having it your way vs Harmony
Daily Clicks
Links



Junk
  • Subscribe to this blog's feed
    [What is this?]